Thursday, December 19, 2013

Criss Cross and Peering Intently: Talking To Myself And You

I.
Do you think I could tease you out of your corner, my dear?
Take your hand and coax you from the wall.
But maybe I don't even see that as it truly is,
    maybe it's not a corner, but a whole other world,
    different and not so different from mine.
Perhaps you like everything just as it is.

II.
I want to reach deep into the universe,
    --my arm plunged in up to my shoulder,
and pull the heart of it into sight.
I halfway suspect it would also be my heart,
    your heart,
their heart.

In theory, I am the adventurous type,
In theory I want to get out, to go far, far away.
And then maybe I will come back, and I will find what I am looking for
    Right here,
Where it has always been.

III.
I yelled down the stairs, deep and loud,
    and in the silence left alone afterward,
    a string on my guitar rang in reply,
    and I smiled and laughed and said hello
before flying away.

And so it is that I always find these things again, and they are different,
    I am different;
With a firefly
Blinking in my heart
    and guitar dust shining golden on my fingers,
in my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment