Tuesday, May 28, 2013

An Experiment

I'm growing a garden down the street from my house. The guy I work for gave me a patch in his field.
I haven't even planted the whole thing yet, I've done maybe 3/8s of it so far. I've planted three rows of turnips, five rows of beets, one of cauliflower, three of bok choi,  and this morning I planted two rows of bloomsdale spinach, whatever that is. (My mom gave me most of my seeds.) My sister is helping me with it, and she's planted four rows of broccoli and one row of cilantro.

It's all rather exciting for me; a way to gain some sort of independence and bring in vegetables and maybe some money for my family.
I really like gardening, I like growing things and working and getting my hands dirty. I think I've mentioned that people have a place in nature, in and of the ecosystem, not with or against nature. Having my own garden is a way of practicing that belief. I'm not creating wildspace or independent ecosystems, unfortunately, but I'm experimenting and learning and nurturing life.
It's amazing to witness the tiny leaves sprouting from the ground, and I can feel a response in my heart, a response to life and growth and greenery, like seedlings within my veins.
I'm still not sure it's all going to work out, and  I shan't be terribly disappointed if it doesn't, but I'm growing more and more hopeful as Spring progresses and heads towards summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment