Friday, March 26, 2010

Seder meal

Hava nagila, hava nagila...... Uru achim! Uru achim!
This song has been playing through my head over and over, it is a very catchy Jewish dance song :) My scholar class had a sort of mock (Since none of us are Jewish) Seder meal. I really enjoyed participating in it all, never before have I had such a new and exciting culture-exploring opportunity. The whole Seder ceremony was very intriguing, although it was a little long in my opinion (I had to go to the restroom quite badly at the end of the whole thing, as did everyone else) :) But that does not mean I didn't enjoy it, you know. Just a little too much grape juice on an empty stomach :) I especially liked that we were supposed to serve grape juice to the person at our left four times during the ceremony, although for different reasons than it was practiced for. It reminds me of how Jesus wants us to serve each other. I think it was in the ceremony to make everyone feel like they had a personal servant for the meal, that's basically what E. said.
The real eating began after the ceremony. All of the food was delicious, from the funeral potatoes (Mormons... [Shakes head]) to the vegetable platter. But my favorite part was dessert, Yum. Cheesecake, chocolate dipped Matza bread, (Which I didn't have as I am on a sort of chocolate diet until June) butter cookies, (The food I made for the meal, unfortunately not very traditional, as I could not get a hold on any Matzo meal what-so-ever) and a couple of other cakes that I didn't try. I was too enamored with the cheesecake :)
Then our in-house person of Jewish ancestry (She was recruited to help make the Seder meal as authentic as possible, meaning she was our consultant) taught us three or four Jewish group dances. Lots of fun, although I am terrible at choreographed dancing. I never have been able to memorize or follow complicated dancing steps, not even for the three or four years I took ballet.
Our laughter echoed in the gymnasium as we tripped over eachother. I may not be a great dancer, but I love it anyway :)
I had a wonderful time, and I learned so much that I probably wouldn't have otherwise learned, I am so thankful I had such an opportunity in Sanpete county. (Of all places!) Thank you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment