Thursday, August 18, 2011

"The notion of saving the planet has nothing to do wiht intectual honesty or science. The fact is that the planet was here long before us and will be here long after us. The planet is running fine. What people are talking about is saving themselves and saving their cash flow."
~Lynn Margulis. (Found in the Sunbeams section of The Sun.)

Interesting... though I don't wholly agree with it. I really do think we're doing a pretty bad job in our "stewardship", whether or not is we are actually the stewards. But really, that whole thing about people really just wanting to save themselves and their cash flow seems pretty insightful to me, which kinda ties into this one, also found in the Sunbeams:
"Even the most ardent environmentalist doesn't really want to stop pollution. If he thinks about it and doesn't just talk about it, he wants to have the right amount of pollution. We cannot afford to eliminate it - not without abandoning all the benefits of technology that we not only enjoy but on which we depend."
~Milton Friedman
Something to think about, at the very least. I mean, if I think about it, I am right now writing quotes about the environment on my blog, which happens to exist on a computer that runs on electricity that I am certain was not converted from the sun or wind's energy, while I sit on a swivel chair made from plastics and metals which were taken from the earth and which are pretty difficult to give back. Would it be difficult for me to live without these things? Most definitely, but I like to think that I could totally live without them. And besides, I am of the opinion that we haven't truly explored what humanity is capable of without the aid of technology.
I seem to be on a quote spiel today, as I really feel that both of these lead into this: "Between the two poles of whole truth and half truth is slung the chancy hammock in which we all rock." ~Shana Alexander. That rather explains my feelings about both quotes, that they don't necessarily have all of the truth, or all of the untruth.

All three of these quotes are, inexplicably, strung one after the other on their page in this order: Lynn, Shana, Milton. Huh. As if Shana's explains and unifies them... Baha, perhaps I am thinking about this too much :)


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I think it was wise of you to include the quote from Shana Alexander, because the "chancy hammock in which we all rock" is a really good way to describe it. Doubtless, the two quotes are thought provoking, but I don't know if I agree with them. As for Lynn Margulis' quote, I don't know enough about science, but can't humans do a great deal of damage to the planet and to the life living there? So I think there are definitely people whose environmentalism is selfless. Also, I think that the most ardent environmentalist does want to stop pollution, it's just a matter of not being able to.
    Thought-provoking. Thought-provoking indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most things that aren't wholly agreed with are, I have come to think.

    ReplyDelete