Monday, November 30, 2020

We

We
Me and all that share my life
-I’m talking about bacteria-
We have more bacterial cells in us
Than human,
More busy little independents
Living their own lives
Than dutiful citizens.

Not that they, bacteria,
Are lesser for this.
They are contributing denizens,
But maybe they have a streak of independence:
Spray painting the streets in self-expression,
Planting radical gardens
at intersections of the road,
Gathering their own communities around them
Rather than dutifully attending Sunday church.

When I say we,
I acknowledge us
-Me and my bacteria.

We went on a walk this weekend
And we spoke with our sisters
The trees
We felt part of them somehow
Words floating through the air
To absorb into their bark
Us and the sun, the sun is us.

No comments:

Post a Comment