Monday, January 13, 2014

(Feeling Out This Essay Thing Still) Early Morning Discussions

Oftentimes, when I converse with my mom, we'll be discussing something, and I'll sum it up, and she'll tell me "You should write that!". I'm always a little taken aback, but I also think "hey, that subject," (whatever it is) "would be kinda fun to write about." The problem is, I never seem to get around to writing that stuff down, and by the time it occurs to me that I ought to try, I've forgotten ninety-percent of it and it's muddled besides. I can't figure out how to word and organize it, let alone write a draft of it, and the more I try to write, the more I forget.
I'm not sure I've ever managed to write the things I discuss with my mom. It's reoccurring, but I don't think I've ever really tried. It's not like I totally ignore mom and forget; I often make note and think "Yeah, I should write that. I'll have to try that out tomorrow...". But tomorrow never comes, and I never even make note of the subject or idea in my journal. 
As I write this, the idea occurs to me that the essay formula has the potential of being a problem-solving tool in that it forces you to map things out and come full circle with some sort of a solution to a dilemma. First you present the idea, or problem, sum it up and then come to a conclusion. Unfortunately, this idea is sort of muddy in my head right now, I think I've been carrying it around for a while, but this is the first time it's sort of emerged and it's still not developed. 
Now, if I could figure out how to properly explain and outline this idea, I could use it to actually write about the things I talk about with mom sometimes. I could state what I've already figured out with mom, and then extrapolate and draw them out further. I could develop my ideas in-depth, and in doing so, share them a bit with whoever feels like reading about them. 
I don't usually get around to writing the things my mom tells me I should. Since I've become aware of this, I can now figure out what to do about it, because I would like to start writing more thoroughly about anything I can think of. Perhaps what I should do is write things down when my mom and I speak of them, and then afterward, sometime during the day when I just sit down to write anyway, I can pull out those notes and use them to explain and further explore the philosophies and concepts we discuss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment