Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Coincidence or Synchronicity? (A rewrite of "Fly Away")



I.
Walking home

So many invisible people on the street,
Too many lights

This voice will change.

Wrapped too tightly in my own thoughts
A black leash swinging from my hand

Something floats to the ground ahead of me
Catching my attention

Gray and light, drifting like snow or ash


A feather,
I am brought back into the physical world,
And I look around me, feathers falling noiselessly to the ground,
Tiny and the color of soft death,
A trail perpendicular across my own path

So very quiet, so very very quiet

Where did all the sound go? 

A peregrine falcon 
Regards me from the bare bare branches 
Of a long dead tree.

The question of course is:
Was it all just coincidence? 

II.
Dream-walking,
Music playing
Eyes turned inward 

I catch the words just as the song ends.
I am so often too wrapped up in my own head
And I miss the world around me

"I see fire..."

My thoughts are suddenly snapped back into the present 
By a song 
Familiar and unfamiliar,
But suddenly the place ahead of me,
Just down the street--
Doesn't look like home anymore.

So I turn and run,
Loose shirt billowing in the wind
Like a skin shed
And flight taken.

III.
Now every third time I walk that road
I pause just before the fence that leads down the street
To the house I grew up in,
And I wait for that feeling,
Though that was summer
And this is winter
Masquerading as spring. 


One a day, 
The other a dream, 
My life is never just now;
it is then, 
The bridge between past and future;
And all memories live in my hands, 
All seasons dwell in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment