Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Different Point Of View

I dreamt I was a wanderer.
A man.
I stood in a barn, away from the freezing wind, and I smoked a cigarette, nursing it with my hand.
It seemed that I was in Soviet Russia, long ago. It was as if Soviet Russia had been dropped into the Great Depression.
I watched through the door of the barn, wary of oncoming people.
The wind shrieked and swirled sparse, stinging snowflakes along a dirt path, dark trees stood sentinel along one side.
A woman walked by.
Her dress swirled in the wind, and she bent forward against the wind's force.

I began to experience the dream from the woman's point of view.

The man ducked behind the barn door, but I noticed him nontheless.
I didn't care, so what if he decided to use my barn to get out of the cold? He deserved it just as much as I did, if not more. There were many wanderers in my time. I could not house or feed or clothe all of them, so why not let them take shelter in my barn every once in awhile?
I continued on, and the dream seemed to end.


(Have you ever dreamt you were an animal, or of the opposite sex? Or that you were younger or older than you are?)

1 comment:

  1. I've dreamt of being an animal a few times. Usually theres a sense of being trapped during the dream, like my legs or wings are bound and I can't quite find a way to move myself. Its strange because usually when you're awake and you imagine being an animal then the first thing that comes to mind is being free, either from yourself or society…
    Just because I feel trapped though doesn't mean I'm also scared. Usually theres a thoughtless calm that just smothers everything else. Like you don't need to be free to be content, or rather finding free peace of mind in exchange for having your body bound. Its kind of weird to describe it because it was a dream and of course all dreams make sense while you're experiencing them.
    There was that one time though when I dreamt I was an animal that could manage to move, but only clumsily as if my body was partially bound. That was one of the only times I remember feeling something besides the overpowering calm because that time I felt an inexplicable fear and need to get away, but couldn't because my body wasn't working right...

    ReplyDelete