Thursday, April 3, 2014

"The Perks Of Being A Wallflower"

Today I am Charlie.

A long time ago I read that people often absorb the personalities of main characters from books they're reading, and the effect can last for a while after they've finished the book.

I read the rest of The Perks of Being a Wallflower today. I've felt like the narrator and protagonist, Charlie, ever since I began reading this morning. He's a great character; really well-written. I identify with him a lot, I too am a wallflower and fairly observant.

I felt awkward much of the day, and rather depressed. It helped to go on a walk after I finished the book. I was getting pretty down when I read the first half of the book a couple weeks ago, so today I thought I'd try getting some exercise and a change of scenery after finishing.

I definitely take on the personalities and moods of characters I'm reading about, especially when written in the first person. Today I was Charlie. Everything worked out okay, though. I managed to converse with people my age and not totally freeze up or speak in gibberish. I felt like a part of a group for once, if only for a little while. That struck me as something rather alike to Charlie as well, and the group I was with vaguely reminded me of Charlie's friends Patrick and Sam.

Absorbing the personalities of books characters can be problematic occasionally, prompting moods that are less than ideal. Today I was acutely conscious of this phenomenon, so I got to observe it carefully and not get pulled too deeply into isolation, or the sadness permeating The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Today I was Amoniel being Charlie; the world was both poignantly fresh and nothing new to look at, just a little bit like walking in someone else's shoes, only they fit your feet perfectly and aren't altogether a style unsuitable to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment