Thursday, March 20, 2014

The resurrection of the beautiful dead

Your iconic Starry Night, troubled life, and self-taught technique inspire me and lead me to despair. You fascinate me, and of course, as human beings perceive about all other human beings, I see sparks and flashes of myself within you; your obsession with the beauty and wonder in nature, your stubbornness and determination to teach yourself painting, your disdain of institutions, and religious fervor removed from religion.
Certainly, Van Gogh, you have managed to spark my interest as no other artist, of any genre or time period ever has. This may be entirely thanks to my local college's impressive array of books documenting your life and works (I have discovered two thick volumes so far), but it began long ago, certain paintings of yours stuck fast in my mind and memory, and later, that amazing, heartbreaking Doctor Who episode.

Oh beautiful beautiful, I know so little about you still. I am learning more; and It will never be enough. Comforting are the long-dead people resurrected in our heads by their own works and other's words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment