Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Is this strange, or merely natural? (Written many weeks ago)

I do not feel that I can effectively communicate how I feel after this long day of exposure and new corners of the world and other people's minds.
"If you want a better job," I paraphrase my Business Teacher's advice this afternoon, "Don't take to the streets and protest, better yourself by going to school, getting an education and work hard to climb the ladder of corporate success." Paraphrased, but the meaning is there. Work flipping burgers because you, too, may have the chance (one in a million) of succeeding as Herman Cain did. God forbid you don't want to, god forbid you don't even believe you have that chance. And most of all, God forbid we work to change everything we can for the betterment of our children's children's future, our neighbors lives tomorrow, and our lives next week. 
2,000 men, women, and children, all members of my human family, with their own distinct lives, their own memories of last moments, their own potential in this world, cut short by other people who I am also related to, but can't begin to understand or condone. 
More human beings slaughtered for a purpose, in a war I still do not condone in Mexico. Meals uneaten, beds unmade, children lost in existence for the sake of money and power. Bodies, the building blocks under a tower of corruption. 
People crushed under a yoke of oppression and discontent in Russia, ruled over by a man brave enough to stand up to the megalith of Monsanto (if only in image), but too cowardly to give up his own games of status and wealth. 
Status and wealth, sought after by most of the young adults, just like me, but nothing like me. I wrote that I do not crave wealth and status, those are not my ambitions, but is this strange, or merely natural?

No comments:

Post a Comment