Monday, November 15, 2010

"It is important to question the ideas and decisions of people in positions of authority?"

    "Question everything", as my mother has repeatedly told me throughout the years. I have taken that sentence to heart, I even question my own actions and thoughts.
    Questioning my country, state, and town leaders is no exception. Examining every aspect of their words and actions, are they moral, ethical? "Do they resound with my opinions of right and wrong?" "Do I have clear ideas of right and wrong?"
    Sometimes you may even have to revise your own opinions of right and wrong. I've come to learn that nothing is a fact, everything changes with time and with new perspective. Constant change is an important part of our world and our lives.
    Some of our country's greatest triumphs have come from questioning old ideas and beliefs, as well as the authority figures of the time, Take, for example, the Declaration of Independence, and later on in our country, the civil rights movement. Both are powerful events in history. Both times, the people pf our country decided to question laws, customs, and authority figures, and they decided that it was time for change,
    The ability and right to question one's government, and that governments laws, is an important aspect of our society. Use it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment