Friday, July 12, 2013

The Idols of Environmentalism | Curtis White | Orion Magazine

The Idols of Environmentalism | Curtis White | Orion Magazine

Finally finished this article today, my mom emailed it to me a month ago, and I did start it, I just never felt like I had the time to finish it, beh.

Anyway, it's pretty good, it mentions a lot of the same beliefs as me and my family, and it gave me a lot to think about, mainly on the subject of my garden and how I'm going to share vegetables with my community as I first intended.
I started the whole thing with the intention of selling vegetables at our community farmer's market, but it is in great disorganization, and the person who is currently in charge is, I have heard, running out of steam.
My mom and I have spoken with some friends about their possibly heading up a new farmer's market on some land they own out of town, but I don't know how well that will go; they're pretty busy as it is, and I haven't heard anything more from them about it.

I have a neighbor who is interested in buying vegetables from me, but I have no idea how much I want to charge or how I should arrange it. I went to her house with some swiss chard from both my and my mom's garden and some turnip greens (she said she'd try them out) this afternoon, but she wasn't home, so I took the bag of vegetables to our neighbors the next block over and gave it to them.
The thing is, I don't know if I want to charge money. I don't feel good about that, and my garden is kind of an experiment in how I fit into this world and nature, as well as me figuring out how I could possibly support myself. But I don't like money, and I'm earning a lot as it is, so maybe this will be a community experiment in kindness and selflessness, because I would rather give away my heart's work in kindness and friendship rather than for personal gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment